Wire/Ram EDM Operator
Hoover & Strong (Richmond, Virginia)
Hoover & Strong in Richmond, Virginia, seeks an EDM operator who will be directly responsible for the setup, changeover, maintenance, programming, and general advancement of the EDM cell using conventional ram and wire EDM machines. This role requires the practical application of good manufacturing practices and organizational skills. The ideal candidate possesses excellent interpersonal skills and an aptitude for hands-on problem solving.
- Minimum 3 years of ram/wire EDM machine experience.
- Ability to use inspection tools such as micrometers, indicators, calipers, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of tooling design, stamping dies, and die construction.
- Ability to read and understand SOPs and OP cards.
- Strong math skills.
- High attention to detail and self-motivated.
- Experience with injection mold build / maintenance a plus.
- CAD/CAM experience is a plus.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed.
- Plan, machine, assemble and measure tooling detailed on work orders to fabricate jigs, fixtures and custom tooling to support manufacturing plastic medical device components.
- Use part drawings and CAD models to generate programs for ram and wire EDM.
- Set up blocks and plates for ram/wire EDM jobs; program new EDM jobs and modify existing ones as necessary.
- Meet tight tolerance drawing requirements through selection of proper processes based on material and subsequent process requirements.
- Review EDM programs, tool prints, and steel for errors and develop a course of action to correct any problems; perform quality inspections to ensure product meets quality standards.
- Work with the tool designers, programmers, and tool assemblers to produce the necessary components.
- Operate multiple pieces of equipment simultaneously and multi-task; use manual lathes, mills and grinders to complete assigned work.
- Ability to work independently and apply critical thinking to troubleshoot and develop solutions.
- Analyze workload and capacities to determine the most efficient way to meet customer due dates.
- Other duties as assigned.
Process Improvement (20%)
- Maintain tools and equipment for production.
- Rework and / or repair tooling and equipment according to specifications.
- Generate work instructions and visual aids as required.