Sr. Tool & Die Maker
Hoover & Strong
Move to beautiful Richmond, Virginia! Hoover & Strong is hiring and seeks a Sr. Tool & Die Maker. This skilled machinist will design, make, and improve tools, jigs, fixtures, clamps, and molds to produce over 20,000 small parts and products, including jewelry, contact castings, findings, and mill products.
- Must have High school diploma or GED equivalent; some vocational-technical training preferred but not necessary.
- REQUIRES Five (5) to Seven (7) years documented experience as a Sr. Machinist/Tool & Die Maker.
- Must have strong PC skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative and the ability to prioritize job responsibilities.
- Must have math and mechanical skills/aptitude and the ability and desire to do precision work.
- Must have knowledge of blueprint reading and precision measurement tools such as micrometers, calipers, and indicators.
- Must be able to exercise substantial initiative and judgment in work methods and interpreting goals.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to coach and/or train coworkers.
- Must have excellent verbal, written, communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
Set Up (60%)
- Read CAD drawing, prints and job orders to determine dimensions and machine set-up.
- Set up and operate various machining and grinding equipment such as Mills, Lathes, and surface grinders in order to machine or grind components to precise specifications.
- Select feed rate, cutting speed, depth of cut and tooling to be used.
- Maintains the work area and equipment in a clean, orderly condition and follows prescribed safety procedures.
- Performs inspection of machined products and documents results along with completing and maintaining paperwork for parts.
- Repair and maintain press tools and die repairs.
- Routine servicing and regrinding of tools.
- Attend press breakdowns, identify fault and problem solve at the press with minimal downtime to aid production.
- Identify and escalate any activity that has the potential to cause harm or damage.
- Ensure that company targets are met without compromising quality.
- Identify spares requirements and log usage.
- Support new project tooling from commissioning stages through to start of production.
- Document and update die history and other work records.
- EDM experience is a plus.
Quality Control (20%)
- Detect and report defective materials or questionable conditions to management.
- Carry out Planned Preventative Maintenance.
- Verify conformance of finished work pieces to specifications using precision measuring devices such as micrometers, calipers, gauges, comparators, etc.
- Be actively involved in improvement activities to support the achievement of departmental and company objectives.
- Work within 6S (Sort, Set In Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain, Safety) methodology to maintain workplace to a high standard.
- Write reports and present progress at departmental meetings.
- Support training needs of the department and provide expertise to apprentices and trainees.
Stock Supply (20%)
- Machine and maintaining stock supply, component die maintenance, die assembly responsibilities and some short production runs to prove new or repaired tooling.